Wednesday 12 November 2008

Christow and Bridford

Christow and Briford 031

I went out on a walk with my dad this morning from Christow to Bridford.

Christow and Briford 007

This is the area my dad grew up in, so the walk was interspersed with stories and reminisces about the local area. The views across the Teign Valley and Haldon are really lovely, and the villages feel proper villagy!

Wandering up to Bridford we had a surprise when we saw a couple fields of Llamas! Not exactly what you are expecting to find in the Devon countryside.

Christow and Briford 012

Christow and Briford 016 Christow and Briford 017

We then went up to the lovely little church in Bridford, it has a very interesting screen in it with strange little figures carved into it. I am sure they all have a meaning, but sadly some of them were defaced by those pesky puritans so it is hard to make out who each is supposed to be.

Christow and Briford 020

Christow and Briford 024

Christow and Briford 026 Christow and Briford 027

Also a colourful stained glass window.

Christow and Briford 025

There is a tiny little brethren chapel that my dad used to visit sometimes, it looks like it my hold about 10 people (and looks pretty run down and disused now).

Christow and Briford 019

Christow and Briford 018

We then stopped off in The Artichoke pub for a bite to eat and popped into Christow church.

Christow and Briford 033

Lovely day out in this hidden corner of Devon, makes me glad I live where I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

[sorry...I know that is a constant refrain, but I cannot think of anything else which captures my thoughts!]