Sunday 9 November 2008

River Exe watching

One of the things about living next to the River Exe (apart from the high contents insurance costs) is being able to watch the river rise and fall with the weather. It seems to take about 12 hours from a heavy rain fall until the river noticeably rises. A few weeks ago it was very high, and the Mill on the Exe scrambled to move benches and put the flood barriers in place around the pub, I expect they will stay in place for the whole winter now.

After last nights rather heavy rain I thought I would check the Environment Agency's site to see if any warnings are in place.

Exe

Thankfully they are not. My love of funny place names was satisfied when I saw where there was a warning.

Wreake

Frisby-on-the-Wreake!

Talking of funny names I spotted this mountain on Wikipedia the other day...

crap sogn gion

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only the English can come up with such wondrous names. Love them.

[I tend to check our Bureau of Meterology's observations on interesting weather days. So much information on the Internet.