Sunday 11 January 2009

Exeter Winter Ales Festival 2009

Beer festival 008

I was invited to the Exeter Winter Ales Festival by my CAMRA card carrying friend Nick yesterday. I must point out that he does not have a beard, and has never tried Morris dancing (to my knowledge). In fact he works in a bank and is quite normal.

So after work yesterday we wandered up to the University for the festival. You first have to buy a glass to use throughout the day, then exchange your real money for a sheet of beer tokens. On the sheet is a few 50p tokens, a few 20p and loads and loads of 10p tokens. If real money was distributed in this way we would be having to carry suitcases of 10p coins around to pay for anything.

Beer festival 006

With over 80 beers and ciders I decided I needed a system, so I only had beers that had a prime number. This worked as good as any, as most of the beers tasted essentially the same. I said this to Nick rather to loudly and thought I was going to be lynched by men with red noses.

Beer festival 003

I realised it was the first time I had ever been in a room that had more beards than women in it.

Was a really fun afternoon, something I have never done before. I think it is a shame that the venue is so soulless and rather stuffy (the smell of warm beer and men... hmm) and I also think it is a shame they don't tell you a bit more about the beers, who made them and where you can purchase it. I would even like to meet some of the people who make the beer and ask a few questions. Will certainly try and get along to the Summer Beer festival though.

Beer festival 005

I stayed on for a bit as I bumped into some old friends, and spent the rest of my tokens. When I got home I fell asleep on the sofa - that's daytime drinking for you.

Beer festival 009

No comments: